Saturday, June 7, 2008

Richmond, Asheville, Great Smoky Mountains

We hung out with my family down in Virginia for the first night of the trip. It is always a good time down there. A huge thank you to them for hosting us! We just relaxed, played some wiffleball, and prepared for the big hike the next day.

Up very early for the long drive to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in North Carolina and Tennessee. Before we reached the Smokies we stopped off in Asheville, NC to check it out. Had hoped to see the Biltmore Estate but the admission was steep so we hit up a couple bars instead. Saw an anti-war protest as well as a bunch of punks and hippies. It felt like I was back on Thompson Circle (LOLOL).

By the evening we had arrived at the Smokies and Joe and I built a miserable little fire that didn’t last too long. I wasn’t able to sleep very well because I was excited to hike the next day. For some reason or another, I have not gotten a good night’s sleep since.

No comments: