Saturday, June 7, 2008

GSMNP Cpntinued...

We were originally going to hike 13 miles to a backcountry campsite and finish the next day with another 8 miles. We ended up deciding to add 6 extra miles on the first day in order to reach the top of Mount Cammerer. This was mostly uphill and at times at very steep inclines. The view from the top was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen and I am glad we did it. The hike itself pushed me to my limits both physically and mentally. By the time we got back to the car, we had hiked around 26 miles. Definitely the hardest thing I have ever done from a physical standpoint, but well worth it.

I have to take the time here to clear up some rumors that may be flying around. On Justin’s blog, he is claiming that your pal Papa Stevsie was afraid of bear attacks. It may be true that we spent the night in the backcountry and Joe and I heard a bunch of loud noises. It may be true that these noises alarmed us. It may even be true that we woke up Justin Moses, Licensed Bear Expert, to convey our concerns. But to claim that I was afraid of bears is absoulutly ridicu—OK you got me, I barely slept a wink that night due to bear attack anxiety. (The next morning, Joe actually did spot a black bear running through the woods).

No comments: